126-YEAR OLD TRADITION
Novi drvni kombinat d.o.o. (NDK) is founded on a rich tradition, which brings together three centuries!
At the location of the present factory, far back in 1885, Anton Czerih opened a chemical factory, using wood as a raw material. Due to inflow of foreign capital, a Hungarian Emil Garay opened the first steam sawmill in 1891, and the second, Gamirshek sawmill, which exported sawn timber to Germany and England, was opened in 1899. At the end of the 19th century, Gustav Mehtersheimer started to produce sleepers for German and Austrian railways.
The quality of the products of wood-processing industry from Mitrovica very soon made a good worldwide reputation. The highest recognition – the Gold Medal, was awarded at the World Exhibition in Antwerpen.
In 1917, an industrialist Mark Spitz began to unite and modernize the wood processing industry of this region. In 1935, a sawmill and a plywood and veneer factory joined Spitz’s Mitrovačke Paropile d.d., and the industrial giant was created.
After World War II, the new government realized the importance of the factory and put it under the management of military authorities, and later on, of state authorities. The foundations of the modern Drvni kombinat were laid in the summer of 1950. The factory had good business results for many decades, but at the end of the last century it fell into serious financial difficulties caused by the political crisis, the division of the country and the war.
A strong impulse was given to the factory in 2003, when it was privatized and started its new life under the name of Novi drvni kombinat and as a part of the Zepter Group.